Easy tip to remember/type complicated symbols like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

macos-tips
Easy tip to remember/type complicated symbols like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0.0 0

I’m a massive fan of symbols, especially ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) ones, I use them whenever I have a funny conversation or update online.

I use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Shrug) and (._.") regularly. I use a bunch of other symbols as well, but the problem is, it’s tough to remember them or type them online, I usually end up copy/pasting them from my “Notes” or via Google search, but that’s additional workload.

If you are a macOS user, then here is a smart trick to overcome this.

Go to: System Preferences > Keyboard > Text

In this section, you can add all the symbols you use regularly. You can assign a text for that. Like I used &shrug; for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, &arrow; for ➔ and so on.

So whenever you want to use those symbols and characters you just need to type the text replacement for that. Check this GIF below, it’ll work like this:

If you linked your macOS and iOS devices, then you might get the same there as well.

There is a small problem with this though, some extensions like Grammarly might block this feature, so you need to disable them to make this work correctly. Also, make sure “Text Replacement” is enabled on your Safari browser.

That’s all. Do try this and let us know if you find this beneficial. If you have any other queries, do kindly share your thoughts!